Tuesday, August 24, 2010

8/24/10 Sports, Sports, Sports

      From a young age I have always been active. I was always running around doing something. I took most of my energy out in sports. Starting at the young age of four (thats a guestamet age) I started swimming lessons. Swimming lessons continued on up until I was ten. I had to repeat a level twice because the instructor said I wasn't focused enough to move on to the next level. "Natalea focus!" I still hear this at least once a week to this day.
     When I was five or maybe six, i don't know, my mom put me soccer. I did not like soccer one bit. It was hot, tiring and I never got the ball. I just spent my time looking for four leaf clovers on the field as the other kids attempted to score a goal. This event was rare. I stuck with that for at the most three years. Im leaning towards two. In second and third grade I was in dance, I was also a real tomboy back then and hated the fact that we had to where pink for our recitals. I regret quitting dance for such a stupid reason like that, especially sense I love to do it now. But what can I do I was six years old and my parents let me. Also in third grade; this would make me seven; I started fencing. If you are wondering what fencing is, this is a sport where two people have a long slender sward and score points if they stab the other person ( no one bleeds of corse). I was pretty good at this and continued this sport up until i believe 7th grade. Reason for discontinuing; the first reason is that out of four years of doing the sport I had only competed twice, and for all that practice it was unsatisfying. The second reason is that well I wanted to do hockey.
      My friend was in hockey and turned me on to the sport. I loved it. We had games every weekend. Practice was fun. I got to meet new people, and when you play you get like an adrenaline rush, a rush that I never had before. First I was on a U19 girls team with my friend. Then, even though we were just a few months apart, I was apparently kick off the team the next year for being too young so I had to join a peewee team, this kinda sucked because most of the boys were ass holes to me and there was checking. ( checking is when you are allowed to slam someone else into the boards). Though, I still loved playing. A year later a new girls team was formed. I was on this team for two years. I had some good times and bad. Two things that I heard from my coaches the most was "Natalea focus!" and "be aggressive". Which I am not an aggressive person. Your probably wondering why I am not doing hockey anymore. I have two very good reasons why, though I loved it, I had to do what I had to do. In 8th grade my dad lost his job, and as you might know hockey is a very expensive sport and also after 9th grade (this is when me being younger was good because I could be in it one more year) I would have to be on the MSO Iceberg high school team. This is a combination of four schools. Most people in it had been playing longer than I and I wasn't going to have my parents pay money that we don't have to have me sit on a bench. Now, do you think those are good reasons?
         In fifth through ninth grade during the summer I did softball. I enjoyed it. I never really was in love with it. And got annoyed that I was always put in the out field but I liked it. Even though I was a complete and utter strike out. Hitting the ball I found was nearly impossible. Like hockey it was a great sport to meet new people and to fill up free time. How it ended do you ask. Well it ended with a horrible new coach and an age limit that I reached to be on the team. It was time to go.
    This is not the end of my sports career, oh no. In 10th grade, sense I wasn't doing hockey I had to stay somewhat in shape, so I decide to do track. In track we practiced after school ever day for a little over two hours. We have track meets once to twice a week. They put me in the 100, 200, and the 400. I hated it. I hated practice, and I hated the meets. It was torture. I ended up getting shin splints in the beginning and they never went away, they just got worse. To the point that no matter if I stood or sat it hurt the same. Also I was the slowest person on the track team. Literally the word slowest was written next to my name on the list. Im never going to do track again.
   So what are you going to do this year, your probably wondering. Well, good question. So I forgot to mention up in the beginning that sometime in that mess of sports I also took tennis lessons for two years. It was ok. But nothing I truly enjoyed. Until we did tennis in gym class last year, and I had myself a good time playing tennis; it never occurred to me to play. So I said Im joining and that was that. I know friends that are in it, so even during the boring times I will be with someone. Later I sent in in all my forms and everything except for the $50 fee. A few days before the month of August we got our schedule. For me this was too late. Practice was everyday in August plus some matches. My boss had already had my work schedule planned and my times that I had to work interfered with the tennis times. So I emailed the coach asking if I could miss a few practices for work. She, with no sympathy, said that work is not an excuse to miss practice and if I miss more than two practices because of it I would be kicked off the team.
   Heart broken as I was I went to my.... *11:11 MAKE A WISH*.... I went to my long time companion. An activity that I never thought was a sport, but I just love to do it. It was there for me when the others weren't but always made me happy. Almost everyone knows how to do it but only few know how to completely indulge in it. If you guessed swimming you are wrong. Well for me at least, you could be a swimmer, but I am a biker. Or the proper term is cyclist. I can ride for hours, wind in my hair, I can go fast or I can just cruz down the road. I love to bike. So sense I love to bike and technically biking is a sport and you can even race. That is what I am going to do. My dads friend is a big time cyclist and owns the bike shop; so I believe he can give me the guidance I need to become really good. Just the other weekend I rode around Lake Mondoda with my mom, it was 15 miles and we did it in 2 hours. ( I can go faster but my mom is a little slower than me). In the end I really believed that I can be a good biker. Its in my blood. My grandpa is 78 years old and he is still biking over 10 miles a day. I wish I could bike with him.
   So all in all I have done eight sports, yet I have never been really good at any of them. I tried hard, but sports just come harder to me than others. My dad says I'm not athletic, but yet I have done all theses sports. So what do you call a person that does sports but is not good at any of them? My aunt says that I am an active person. Someone who needs to do something active even if they aren't good at it. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment